Our Nurse Specialist Practitioner is on the Jeremy Sallis show at 15:00 discussing the subject of diabetes. Here is some more information & links that might be helpful.
Risk Factors for Type 2 diabetes;
• Waist is over: 31.5 inches or over for a woman
37 inches or over for a man
• High blood pressure
• Over the age of 40
• From a South Asian or Black ethnic background
• Close family member has diabetes (Parent or Sibling)
To check your own risk of developing type 2 diabetes, you can do a simple Risk Score Test available on the diabetes UK website, please click HERE to access the test
If your Risk Score comes out at either medium or high risk, please contact the surgery (or your own GP if you are not registered with Woodlands) to discuss further.
In lots of cases, the onset of type 2 diabetes can be delayed or prevented. Here are some top tips to help reduce your risk of developing type 2 diabetes:
- Limit unhealthy snacks high in salt, sugar or saturated fat.
- Watch your portion size.
- Do at least 30mins of exercise 5 times a week. Please see the link below to the Cambridge Exercise referral scheme which provides physical activates opportunities at a reduced rate for adults. You will need to speak to a member of staff to be referred into the scheme.
- Stick to the recommended daily alcohol limit (2-3 units per day for women & 3-4 units per day for men)
- Start today!!
The links for the websites mentioned above:
Diabetes UK: http://www.diabetes.org.uk/
Cambridge Exercise referral scheme (Cambridge only): https://www.cambridge.gov.uk/fitness-for-adults-with-medical-conditions