Keeping cool this summer
Most of us welcome hot weather, but when it’s too hot for too long there are health risks. If a heatwave hits this summer, make sure the hot weather doesn’t harm you or anyone you know.
Tips for coping in hot weather:
• Shut windows and pull down the shades when it is hotter outside. You can open the windows for ventilation when it is cooler.
• Avoid the heat: stay out of the sun between 11am and 3pm (the hottest part of the day) if you’re vulnerable to the effects of heat.
• Drink cold drinks regularly, such as water and diluted fruit juice. Avoid excess alcohol, caffeine (tea, coffee and cola) or drinks high in sugar.
• Wear loose, cool clothing, and a hat and sunglasses if you go outdoors.
• Check up on friends, relatives and neighbours who may be less able to look after themselves.
Further information can be found following this link: